About JOINING ONE OF OUR CHOIRS
If you would like to join one of our choirs please complete the Application Form at the bottom of this page. This page should answer most of your questions - if not, please contact Alison Nicholls who is in charge of recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- for the Training Choir (boys and girls in school years 2-4) we welcome new members throughout the year without audition
- for the FYC Girls Choir and FYC Boys Choir (both school years 5-7) entrance is by audition in June/July and, additionally, at other specific times during the year (see below)
- for the Farnham Youth Choir (which is a choir from school years 7-13) we welcome new members by audition in June/July and, additionally, during the summer holidays by request. Boys (treble voices only) can audition if they are currently in years 5 and above whereas girls can audition if they are currently in years 6-9
Auditions for Farnham Youth Choir will take place during the summer holidays (2017) and for FYC Girls and Boys Choirs on Wednesday evenings in September and October 2017. Dates and times will be advised on application.
We aim to make the audition process friendly and helpful, and hopefully an enjoyable experience! We want to find out about your current ability, but are also looking for potential and readiness to learn.
What happens in the audition?
Auditions will usually take place in small groups where you will be asked to sing some simple vocal exercises to discover whether you are a high or low singer (we need both!). There will also be some ear tests (similar to aural tests in graded exams) and some simple sight reading. We do not require you to bring a prepared piece.
How long will the audition last?
- auditions for the Junior Girls and Boys Choirs will last up to half an hour
- auditions for the Youth Choir will be up to one hour
When will I hear the results of my audition?
When you leave the audition you will know if you have a place in the Junior Choirs. If you’ve auditioned for the Youth Choir will know by the evening if you have a place.
What happens if I’m accepted?
Rehearsals will start on Wednesday 6th September 2017 at Frensham Heights School in the Music School, 5.15pm – 6.45pm. Details will be sent to you towards the end of the summer holidays.
New members of the Youth Choir will also attend extra repertoire sessions on Tuesdays for four weeks 5.15pm – 6.30pm (dates are on the schedule which you will be sent when you’ve booked an audition slot).
how do I apply?
Please follow this link to complete the application form to join any of our choirs.
We will then be in touch to arrange a time for your audition (if required) and to answer any questions you may have.